As freelance writers we love to be in the midst of a writing storm , typified by us firing away on the keyboard. Having little time for ourselves as we juggle multiple assignments, is for many of us a ‘ successful day’ ( of course that is contrary to the perception of the outside world of how we usually spend our days)!
And then one fine day – silence!
Suddenly you find that the projects on hand have been completed; your regular client sends you an email saying that it will be a few days before the next assignment comes your way and despite having pitched for a dozen new assignments, nothing has materialized.
So it’s the middle of the week and you have no paid-work to do; the worst kind of feeling for a freelance writer.
Making the best of your idle time
Even as you somewhat panic, start following up with old clients and check your mail incessantly, here’s the good news – you now have time to go beyond the mundane, take a break and utilize your time doing other equally enjoyable/ rewarding things.
Here’s what I recommend doing on your unplanned ‘time-off’.
- Read and comment on other blogs
- Make a list of potential posts for your blog and get writing
- Participate in discussions on LinkedIn writer groups
- Meet-up other writer buddies
- Send emails to old clients
Improve your professional quotient
- Find new avenues to market your skills
- Make a list of things you want to learn / read to improve your skills
- Call your parents / in-laws / aunt or uncle
- Take a friend out for a movie
- Write a love letter ( instead of an email or a text)
Enjoy the simple pleasures
- Go for a drive
- Eat your favorite ice-cream
- Listen to some old music
- Bake your favorite pudding
Take care of yourself
- Exercise more
- Make that overdue trip to the salon
- Make the lingering doctor’s appointment
Most of all , I recommend you listen to this Bobby Mcferrin song every day till you get hit by another storm of assignments!
Don’t worry, be happy ! Ohhhh huuuu huuu hoooo!